Syntax highlighting is a markup language that highlights the text of source code snippets, or the output from a compiler, to show the relationships between different parts of statements in different colors.
In order to highlight code snippets, we need to install one of the available syntax highlighter WordPress plugins. These plugins will highlight your code with color and make it more readable for you and your readers.
Syntax highlighting is an indispensable part of every programmer’s life because it saves time in understanding the meaning of a piece of code and prevents misinterpretations in reading it due to differences in programming languages.
Syntax highlighter plugins for WordPress offer a way to improve the readability of code snippets in blog posts and articles. Here are three of the best options.
Crayon Syntax Highlighter is probably one of the best and most used syntax highlighter WordPress plugins which support multiple languages, themes, and fonts. Once it is installed you can customize the setting because it has an integrated theme editor. Crayon syntax highlighter is equally compatible with visual & HTML editors. It can highlight from a URL, or WordPress post text and you can also mark the important lines.
- Toggled plain code
- Toggled line numbers
- Copy/paste code
- Open code in a new window (popup)
- Line wrapping
- Code expanding
- bbPress 2 support
- Mixed Language Highlighting in a single Crayon
- Mini Tags like [php][/php]
- <pre> tag support, option to use
setting-valuein the class attribute
- Valid HTML 5 markup
- Mouse event interaction (showing plain code on double click, toolbar on mouseover)
- Tab sizes
- Code title
- Retina buttons
- Striped lines
- File extension detection
- Live Preview in settings
Enlighter is another excellent plugin for displaying a beautiful code appearance on your WordPress website. This is an easy-to-use and customizable syntax highlighting tool for WordPress by which you can easily bind up your code with the shortcode. A Theme-Customizer with live preview mode is included to modify the built-in themes. Enlighter also supports the automatic creation of tab-panes to display code-groups together like html+css+js
- Inline Syntax Highlighting
- Markdown fenced code blocks
- Shortcodes within content, comments, and widgets
- Easy to use Text-Editor mode through the use of Shortcodes and QuickTags
- Advanced configuration options (CDN usage, ..) are available within the options page.
- Supports code-groups (displays multiple code-blocks within a tab-pane)
- Extensible language and theme engines – add your own one.
- Standalone Shortcode-Processor to avoid wpautop filter issues in Text-Editor Mode
- Webfont Loader to add missing Monospace Fonts to your website
WP-Syntax is another famous syntax highlighter WordPress plugin that provides a clean syntax highlighting feature This plugin using GeSHi and supporting a wide range of popular languages. It also supports highlighting with or without line numbers and maintains formatting while copying snippets of code from the browser.